Saturday, August 11, 2007

Teaching Tolerance through FUN




I’m a traveling English teacher. Japan, New York City, Kosovo and now I have the opportunity to work with the best of the best from Croatia, Montenegro, Serbia, Kosovo, and Romania at the Teaching Tolerance Through English camp in the lake-side town of Balatonlelle, Hungary. Using language to guide students through discovery of themselves and other kids of the world is about as rewarding of a job as it comes . . . HOWEVER . . . learning a new language in the mind of its students often means concentration, studying and work making motivation a challenge at times. Too often they forget that the verbal part communication can be supplemented quite easily by a good laugh.

The sun had fallen so volleyball was difficult. Ping-pong had become old and the kids were looking a bit bored. So came the perfect opportunity to introduce one of the best night-time games to come out of the United States. Kick-the-can has simple rules. It’s basically tag and hide-and-seek tied up into one game. Mix in a little bit of team-work and covert strategies and you’ve got hours of fun in the dark. Two-minutes of explaining and one round of figuring it out was all it took to get a group of about 12 kids, and three adults to chase a plastic bottle around the camp grounds trying to free themselves from being tagged IT. When a new player joined they kids fought to be the ones to communicate the basic rules so they new playmate could have a laugh with us. Language and laughter . . . not always as easy as it sounds, but definitely effective when it happens.

Using a second language to communicate and get to know someone might not always be a barrel of laughs, but I do believe that one can always be found eventually. Whether in a classroom, at the breakfast table, around the campfire or on the field, laughs and language make an ideal recipe for communication. Molly Staeheli

11 comments:

The Camping Boys said...

Hi!

We are the hungarian boys who was there in the camp between aug 6-12.

The blog is good ,but we would like more photos.:)

We really sorry ,that we must have gone. We want to come back. We were glad ,that you were there.We had fun , and we met almost only friendly people.

We are dying to know if there is any oppurtunity to communicate with the girls and boys.

Some e mail adress would be fine.

we greet you!
Have fun:)

Tamara said...

hi!!
I came home before few hours....the camp is great...
I like this blog too but I would like to see more photos....


sorry but I have to go now....


bye bye

Kati said...

Dear Molly,
In your article you forgot to mention Hungary...
Kati

Alexandru ( Bacau ) Romania said...

The Camp was Extraordinary and I miss it very much , too bad that we had to leave so soon .

I'm looking foreword to mett you again !

Alexandru ;)

Ina Montenegro said...

hello!
The blog is good,but were are the pictures???
The camp was brilliant,and i really miss it!I'm glad i met all of you,and i hope i will meet all of the campers again!

I LOVE U ALL!!!
BYE,BYE!

Arbër Kadriu said...

I`m Arber ,Ferizaj/Kosova
Well , I participated in this game.It was great and honor to play with Molly Stahelli

I really miss all of you, especial Ivana ,Priepolje(I Miss you Ivana...!)

Ivana said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ivana said...

HI! This is Ivana from Pljevlja\Montenegro!
I miss all of you very much! This camp was really good experience and I would like if we could repeat it! And of course I would like to see all of the campers, teachers and counselors again! Blog is great but where are the photos you promise us we will see on this blog?
Lots of greetings
Bye!!!!

Kastriot(Ferizaj)kosovo said...

Hey Y'all It's me Kastriot from Ferizaj...
I really miss the camp...
especially all of them ..:P
so hope i will see more pics on it lol those are not enough...

Arbër Kadriu said...

yes Leo please put more photos here in blog I know that you are the author of this site but if not who ever it is put more photos to remember our memories there please.Miss you allllllllllllllllll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

This camp was awesome!!! I had much fun and it was great to meet other people and learn about them and their way of doing things. It was an extraordinary experience;)